Amanda-Users

Re: star and amanda

2004-04-08 16:50:34
Subject: Re: star and amanda
From: c-chan AT uchicago DOT edu
To: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:47:51 -0500 (CDT)
Also Sprach Galen Johnson:

> Does/can amanda utilize star?  This would be one of the most useful
> capabilities I can foresee for Amanda (quiet Windows users).
>
> Thoughts/comments?
>
> =G=

GNU tar can do multi-volume network backups as well.  So can most dump
variants.  They use the rmt interface, which Amanda does not use.
The functionality needs to be in Amanda, not in the backup program.
star is worth supporting in Amanda because it preserves POSIX ACLs,
but star also needs to support incremental dumps to fit into the
Amanda way of doing things.

----
C. Chan <c-chan at uchicago.edu >
GPG Public Key registered at pgp.mit.edu