Amanda-Users

star and amanda

2004-04-08 16:09:33
Subject: star and amanda
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:35:17 -0400
Hey,

I was talking with a colleague and amanda came up since we have both used it at previous jobs for penny-pinching companies (that and it is awesome). We were discussing the fact that Amanda has a few problems that really holds it back from more adoption. 1) No gui for a user interface which all the commercial products have (so what, big deal). 2) Configuration of amanda can be a PITA (there are a couple of projects out there that are trying to address this, a webmin module comes to mind) 3) no real windows client (again, so what, big deal...we can work around it) and 4) using tar doesn't allow you to span multiple tapes. Let's focus on 4 as to me that is the biggest issue.

My coworker then brought up the fact that they thought that star (http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/star.html) could handle that. So I went to the star site and lo and behold it's true...star will span tapes when given the -multivol option...now here's where all this has been leading:

Does/can amanda utilize star? This would be one of the most useful capabilities I can foresee for Amanda (quiet Windows users).

Thoughts/comments?

=G=