Amanda-Users

Re: AIT-2

2004-04-07 15:52:09
Subject: Re: AIT-2
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Dege, Robert C." <robert.dege AT ngc DOT com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 21:46:18 +0200
Dege, Robert C. wrote:

I'm currently having problems restoring files from my amanda backup
system.  I am able to narrow the problem down to my AIT-2 tape drive.
If I restore files from amanda backups that are still on the holding
disk, I have a successful restore.  If I restore files from any of
the AIT-2 tapes, I get tar errors.

What kind of tar errors?

So I have a few questions:

1) When amanda uses tar to backup the data, what is the blocking size
that amanda uses?

Default blocksize is 32Kbytes, but can be configured when compiling amanda, and on the settings of the hardware.

2) If anyone here is using an sdx-500 AIT-2 tape drive, what are your
dip switches set to? (I'm wondering if I need to enable variable
block sizing on the drive).

Variable blocksize is necessary to get the 32K blocks that amanda
tries to use.  If you have a fixed blocked size of e.g. 512 bytes,
then no matter the blocksize amanda writes, it will be chunked up
in 512 bytes on tape (and that very very slow).

3) Has anyone else using an AIT tape drive had similar problems?

I am a satisfied user of AIT-1 for more than 3 years now.  I had
no problems, nor did I need to change the dipswitches from the
factory defaults.

A lot of settings depend on the OS where the tapedrive is connected
to.  And of course the quality of the scsi-link (good cables? good
terminated?....)