Amanda-Users

Re: kernels v2.6.x vs. /dev/nst0 ???

2004-03-08 08:20:42
Subject: Re: kernels v2.6.x vs. /dev/nst0 ???
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Michael D Schleif <mds AT helices DOT org>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:18:07 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 at 11:10pm, Michael D Schleif wrote

> Amanda 2.4.4p1
> Debian Linux
>
> I finally took the plunge yesterday, and upgraded my last system to
> kernel 2.6.3.
>
> Unfortunately, this is my amanda backup server, and under this kernel it
> no longer communicates with /dev/nst0:
>
>    # sudo mt -f /dev/nst0 offline
>    mt: No such device. Cannot open '/dev/nst0'.

In addition to making sure st is available, doesn't 2.6 also have a device
mapper (like devfs, but not) available?  Did you compile that in, which
would have the result of putting /dev/nst0 somewhere else (like
/dev/tape/0 or something like that)?

Just guessing -- I haven't played with 2.6 yet.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering