Amanda-Users

Re: script to calculate tape parameters

2004-02-12 10:49:38
Subject: Re: script to calculate tape parameters
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
To: "Jon LaBadie" <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:46:55 -0500 (EST)
Jon LaBadie said:

<snip>

> A bit of more explanation in the text might be in order.
> For example, I entered 6 runs then 1w for the time period.
> But I did not realize that 1w was going to be my dumpcycle.

Perhaps my understanding of the configuration is flawed. I thought that
dumpcycle was the number of days/weeks that span the runspercycle. So for
example if someone does M-F backups, dumpcycle should be 7 days (these happen
over the course of 1 week/7 days), and runspercycle should be 5 (one on M, Tu,
W, Th, F). For one backup per month, dumpcycle would be 1 month or 31 days,
runspercycle 1.

Is this not correct? I have set up my configurations in this manner for a
while, and it seems to have worked OK. Am I missing something?

> For example, suppose I really wanted a 14 day dumpcycle,
> but was not doing dumps on Sunday.  That is still 6 per week,
> but 1 week is not the dumpcycle.

In this case, I would have said dumpcycle 14 days, runspercycle 12.

> There have also been a number of odd combos reported on the list.
> Some of them have produced quite heated commentary.
>
> Some examples, but maybe not the real ones that came up:
>
>    3 day dumpcycle, dumping only on weekdays (what is runs/cycle?)

I would have said dumpcycle 3 days, runspercycle 3. Since dump won't be called
on weekends, don't we effectively get the desired result?

>    3 dumps a week (MWF) with a maximum of 4 or 5 day dumpcycle

I would have extrapolated dumpcycle up to 7 days (since it's calculated over a
weeks' time), then set runspercycle to 3.

> If you ever figure out what to do with these oddities,
> you are a better person than I.  The problem is how will
> amanda "balance" the dumps over the runspercycle when there
> are gaps (days) between dumps.

I have similar odd configurations that I do, and amanda seems to work OK:

daily backup that runs Mon,Tue,Thu,Fri,Sat:
dumpcycle 14 days, runspercycle 10

weekly backup that runs Wed except 1st Wed of month:
dumpcycle 7 weeks, runspercycle 6

monthly backup that runs 1st Wed of month except for 1st Wed of year:
dumpcycle 365 days, runspercycle 11

yearly backup that runs 1st Wed of year:
dumpcycle 3653 days, runspercycle 10

In all these cases, amanda is thrown off a little in the balance reports, but
this does not seem to adversely affect the tape balancing. Am I
misunderstanding the whole thing? I created this script to refine my
understanding of how these amanda configurations are "supposed" to be set. If
I have holes in my understanding, I would like to find out so I can adjust my
amanda config accordingly and then update the "assistant" script.

> Good first cut.  A slightly more polished version could well be
> useful to many beginning amanda administrators.

Thanks; all feedback is appreciated. Are you referring to the above issue WRT
polish, or do you think other parts need changing as well?

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator