Amanda-Users

Re: Changing Amanda server

2004-02-11 22:45:31
Subject: Re: Changing Amanda server
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Robert L Becker Jr <rlb AT afip DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:42:51 -0600
--On Wednesday, February 11, 2004 21:22:14 -0500 Robert L Becker Jr <rlb AT
afip DOT org> wrote:

> I haven't seen this question in the list or archives. How do I
> gracefully move amanda databases from one (Irix) server to a new one
> (Linux). I expect to handle the build and configuration on the new
> host. I'll be moving our Exabyte jukebox from old to new host.
>
> Once the hardware and build dances are done, can I just (translate
> and?) move some files from the old server to the new one, keeping the
> same catalogs etc to access our current inventory of backups?

I've never moved between platforms, but I did move our server from
one Linux host to another.  As I recall, all I had to do was copy
over the config directories to the new server and update .amandahosts
on all the clients (both were built with almost identical configs).
  All the files (indexes, tapelists, configs,etc.) are just text files,
so you shouldn't have a problem (unless you were using 'localhost').
  I would be sure to verify that you can read the old tapes properly
on the new server in case there is some byteorder issue.  Don't forget
that if the OS of the server and client are different, if you used
dump to backup then you need to restore onto a client that is the same
OS as the original filesystem.

Frank