Amanda-Users

Re: "Unable to create temporary directory" message

2004-02-11 18:36:34
Subject: Re: "Unable to create temporary directory" message
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:34:03 -0500
On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 05:16:59PM -0600, Fran Fabrizio wrote:

> I've started to get this from one of the Solaris clients I backup.
> There's nothing wrong with /tmp, I can create /tmp/foo just fine as the
> amanda user, not a disk space issue, etc... I cannot find this error
> message anywhere in the Amanda source.  Does anyone know what's throwing
> this and why?  This machine has been backing up fine for weeks.
>
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/sbin/ufsdump
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/usr/sbin/ufsrestore -f... -
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> ? Unable to create temporary directory in any of the directories listed
> below:
> ?     /tmp/
> ?     /var/tmp/
> ?     /
> ? Please correct this problem and rerun the program.

It is probably "trying" to create a /tmp/"amanda" directory,
the one that holds the debug files.

If somehow that name, amanda, became not a directory, or was
owned by someone else, then amanda would not be able to "recreate it".

Check for that situation and remove the offenders.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)