Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?

2004-02-09 14:22:14
Subject: Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:18:24 -0500
On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:37:23AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Then, have a cron job that copies in either amanda.conf.full or
> amanda.conf.incr to amanda.conf before the dump runs.

Our approach is to have multiple Amanda configurations, with the
same disklist (using symlinks).  The crontab entry runs a script
that in turn runs amdump with the appropriate "configuration"
argument.

> With this (to answer Jon's query), you meet your imposed requirements,
> and you still get multi-machine backups, holding disk, concurrency,
> and the ability to find backups.  Making amanda do what you want is
> vastly easier than writing your own scripts from scratch.

Agreed.  There's a lot more to Amanda than just its scheduling
policy, and it does not seem to me to be prima facie ridiculous
to want to use it with a different policy, and to be frustrated
at how hard that can be.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau