Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover with interactive tape changers

2004-02-09 11:21:50
Subject: Re: amrecover with interactive tape changers
From: "Dr. Christoph Pospiech" <pospiech AT de.ibm DOT com>
To: John Stange <building AT nap DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:09:32 +0100
On Monday 09 February 2004 16:09, John Stange wrote:
> (honest question, because I have no idea) If you have to manually change
> tapes anyway, what does the changer script do for you?

Hi John,

the changer tells amdump, that it is searchable. Then it receives from amdump
the label of the next tape, that amanda expects. It prints a request on TTY
to mount the tape (aka IOmega disk) with the correct label. When the tape has
been put into the slot, the filesystem is mounted and the actual label is
compared with the requested label. If they are different, the tape is ejected
and the the changer asks again for the tape with the correct label. After 5
sucessive failures to mount the tape with the requested label, it returns to
the calling program with an error message.

--

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best Regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Phone +49-621-469450, Fax: ...-469200, eMail: pospiech AT de.ibm DOT com
Mobile +49-171 765 5871
---- Please Note new Tel+FAX Number ----