Amanda-Users

Re: Autoloader problem writing to tape

2004-02-04 16:55:14
Subject: Re: Autoloader problem writing to tape
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: "Kent L. Nasveschuk" <kent AT wareham.k12.ma DOT us>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:39:11 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 at 4:19pm, Kent L. Nasveschuk wrote

> Hello Joshua,
> Thanks for your reply. After talking with Overland tech support I have
> reached at least one conclusion. The drive and the tape is AIT-1. AIT-2

Oops.  I shoulda' caught that -- the model number returned by mtx is
indeed an AIT1 model.  Errr, I hope this thing wasn't mis-advertised to
you...

> is being reported by mt -f /dev/nst0 status. An AIT-1 drive cannot write
> to an AIT-2 tape per Overland Storage. 5 of the box of 10 that I got

That's correct.

> reported AIT-2 even though they are supposed to be AIT-1 tapes. My guess
> is that they are defective. The other 5, I was able to write to without
> a problem, finally.

The "model number" for Sony branded AIT1 tapes is SDX1-35C.  If that helps
at all...

> The tapes I originally tried to write to were all bad which is why I
> assumed that something else was wrong.

I see Words occurring with a vendor here.  Good luck.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering