Amanda-Users

Re: Editing disklist

2004-01-23 13:22:24
Subject: Re: Editing disklist
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:20:52 +0100
Hi, Paul,

on Freitag, 23. Jänner 2004 at 18:57 you wrote to amanda-users:

papc> Thanks for such a quick response Stefan, it is greatly appreciated!

;)

papc>   Stefan> Something like:

papc>    jpt /u1/backup/all /u1/backup {
papc>      # Exclude everything that's explicitly named
papc>      # if we add a directory later, but forget to add it here
papc>      # it will be picked up automagically
papc>     non-user-high-tar
papc>    exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/daily/backup-excludes"
papc>   } 1

papc> I had thought of this, but then realized that this would also require
papc> the maintenance of these files on each client (not a big deal, as it's
papc> all in cvs, I just need to restructure some things).

Just think of the convenience to just edit the exclude file.
Keeping the DLEs easy to understand is pretty helpful.

papc>   Stefan> And after that you list the dirs to be INcluded like this:

papc> So you EXclude before you INclude? Or does it not matter?

There is no BEFORE in that case. You don't know which DLE is done
when, each is handled separately by AMANDA.

On the other side it could make a difference INSIDE the
DLE-definition. Haven't tried that.

Does not matter in the example I gave you.

papc>   Stefan> The dumpsize for /u1/backup should be nearly nothing and so
papc>   Stefan> you can check if your excludes work out fine. If it gets
papc>   Stefan> bigger maybe some new directory has been created

papc> This is exactly the behavior I am trying to achieve.

Ok.

papc> To clarify, do I want:

papc>  jpt /u1/backup/all /u1/backup {

papc>   exlude <all subdirs which follow as separate "disks" >

papc>  } 1

papc> Followed by:

papc>  jpt /u1/backup/<subdir> /u1/backup {
papc>   include <specific subdir>
papc>  } 1

papc> or:

papc>  jpt /u1/backup/<subdir> /u1/backup {
papc>   include <specific subdir>
papc>   exlude <everything else>
papc>  } 1

papc> ?

You forgot the dumptypes ...

Please forget about the "includes".
Build your DLEs as in my example, this should do what you want.

The DLEs above are too complicated.

Again:

is sufficient. No {stuff} needed here.

--