Amanda-Users

Re: Editing disklist

2004-01-23 12:27:25
Subject: Re: Editing disklist
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:24:53 +0100
Hi, Paul,

on Freitag, 23. Jänner 2004 at 17:30 you wrote to amanda-users:

papc> I looked at this and got a little confused.

papc> Do the directories '/diskA/all', '/diskA/ag', and '/diskA/big'
papc> actually exist, or are they simply labels being used to keep things
papc> organized?

Have a look in the amanda-manpage. In the section DISKLIST FILE you
will find the explanation (yes, they are kind of labels).

papc> I have the following directory structure:

papc>   /u1/backup/act-of-god
papc>   /u1/backup/archive
papc>   /u1/backup/bad-for-business
papc>   /u1/backup/build
papc>   /u1/backup/cvs-repos
papc>   /u1/backup/rt
papc>   /u1/backup/sw

papc> I'd like each of these subdirs of /u1/backup to be separate backup
papc> volumes.  To accomplish that, do I do something like this:

papc>   jpt /u1/backup/all /u1/backup {
papc>     # Exclude everything that's explicitly named
papc>     # if we add a directory later, but forget to add it here
papc>     # it will be picked up automagically
papc>     non-user-high-tar
papc>     exclude "./act-of-god"
papc>     exclude append "./archive"
papc>     exclude append "./bad-for-business"
papc>     exclude append "./cvs-repos"
papc>     exclude append "./rta"
papc>     exclude append "./software"
papc>     exclude append "./build"
papc>   } 1

You could do but better use the "exclude list" parameter.

Something like:

jpt /u1/backup/all /u1/backup {
     # Exclude everything that's explicitly named
     # if we add a directory later, but forget to add it here
     # it will be picked up automagically
non-user-high-tar
exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/daily/backup-excludes"
} 1

with the file /usr/local/etc/amanda/daily/backup-excludes containing:

./act-of-god
./archive
./bad-for-business
./some-directory-to-be-excluded

And after that you list the dirs to be INcluded like this:

jpt /u1/backup/act-of-god non-user-high-tar 1
jpt /u1/backup/archive non-user-high-tar 1

The dumpsize for /u1/backup should be nearly nothing and so you can
check if your excludes work out fine. If it gets bigger maybe some new
directory has been created or some exclude does not work as intended.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger