Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype

2004-01-16 19:22:43
Subject: Re: amtapetype
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Alastair Neil <ajn AT ite.gmu DOT edu>, donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:21:17 -0500
On Friday 16 January 2004 17:16, Alastair Neil wrote:
>Yes I was aware, I thought using the device file without the "c" in
> it implied no compression.  I have searched in vain for information
> about how to turn off compression.

Thats often via a dip-switch setting someplace on the drive.  If you
don't have adequate docs on it, you should contact the vendor.

This is not an amanda problem, but we'll try to help you if any of us
has a drive like that one, I do not myself.

If someone on this list has a DLT-8000, please try to help here with
the specifics.

>On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 17:05, donald.ritchey AT exeloncorp DOT com wrote:
>> Alastair:
>>
>> I use the same drive on HP/Compaq Tru64 UNIX.
>>
>> 1.  Do NOT use the hardware compression.  See the archived for an
>> exhaustive discussion of this topic.
>>
>> 2.  Uncompressed capacity of this drive is around 40 GB +/- 2GB.
>>
>> Using a compressed tape device which uncompressible data will
>> actually reduce capacity, since recompressing compressed data
>> makes it expand.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Don
>>
>> Donald L. (Don) Ritchey

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: