Amanda-Users

Re: hi

2004-01-15 17:32:27
Subject: Re: hi
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Shashi Kanbur <shashi AT astro.umass DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:30:20 -0500
On Thursday 15 January 2004 16:10, Shashi Kanbur wrote:
>hi, what i found was that if I extract the tape file onto disk
>with amrestore /dev/nst0 moa
>
>and then
>
>dd if=<file> bs=32k skip=1 of=a
>and then tar xvf a it works.
>I tried to combine the two commands
>dd if<file> bs=32k skip=1 | tar xvf

IIRC, the tar command should have had a - after it.
dd if=file bs=32768 skip=1 | tar xzvf -

I stuck the z in because your dumptype indicated a compressed file
format.

Alternatively, if you resposition the tape back at the head of that
file, and do:
dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32768 count=1
it will spit out the unpacking instructions for that particular file.
If you have that header still attached at the front of the file you
could probably do the same thing with it.