Amanda-Users

possible bug in amcheck?

2004-01-11 21:26:26
Subject: possible bug in amcheck?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:23:49 -0500
Greetings all;

I had a hard lock last night while amanda was running, cpu overheat I
think.  Had a bit of what for getting it going again, and the amanda
recovery has been, lets say "interesting".

Not while doing a recover per sei, but in getting amanda back amoung
the living in terms of caught up with her flushes etc so I can run
normally tonight.

Due to my foulup in modifying one of my scripts, it was falling thru
to the amcheck at the end of the script while the drives buffer were
still being flushed.

Amcheck spits out an input/output error since the drive is already
busy, BUT, it apparently goes right on ahead and increments the
tapeslot file, such that for instance, while the magazine is set for
the 3rd tape, amcheck *thinks* its the 4th & last tape.  Not finding
a match, rather than going to the next slot, it reverts to slot 0 and
starts the scan all over, but never getting to the true 3rd slot,
called slot 4 on the front panel of this drive.
Here is the result of one such run:
---
[amanda@coyote amanda]$ amcheck DailySet1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 14777372 KB disk space available, using 14265372
KB
amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20040111 label DailySet1-12 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 0: date 20040111 label DailySet1-10 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 1: date 20040111 label DailySet1-11 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20040111 label DailySet1-12 (active tape)
ERROR: label DailySet1-13 or new tape not found in rack
       (expecting tape DailySet1-13 or a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Server check took 265.281 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.297 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p2-20040108)
---

The changer was actually sitting with slot 2 loaded when I started
that run.  All this is a bit confusing too when amanda uses a base 0
slot number, but the drive uses a base 1 numbering system.
But now that it knows for sure what slot is which again, so the next
run will be successfull, as follows:
---
amanda@coyote amanda]$ amcheck DailySet1
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 14777312 KB disk space available, using 14265312
KB
amcheck-server: slot 2: date 20040111 label DailySet1-12 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot 3: date 20031219 label DailySet1-13 (exact label
match)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape DailySet1-13 label ok
Server check took 90.449 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.273 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p2-20040108)
---

is there not a handy workaround for this, other than putting another
10 cycles of wear and tear on the tape headers?

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: