Amanda-Users

Re: was: Re: Using amrestore - some help needed

2004-01-09 09:48:25
Subject: Re: was: Re: Using amrestore - some help needed
From: tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:18:29 -0600
Martin wrote:

> Paul Bijnens wrote:
>
>>One important point is that you need to REWIND the tape before starting
>>amrestore, or you need to MANUALLY position the tape to the beginning
>>of your backup image using commands like 'mt ... fsf 123'.
>>If using amanda 2.4.4 or later you may add "-f 123" to rewind and
>>skip forward automatically (using the correct number...)
>>

> I've been trying to do a manual restore as well, just in case an
> amrecover/amrestore is not possible. Paul, you say that it is possible
> skip over backup images by using the fsf parameter. That's true, but is
> there any way of determining WHERE a particular image is stored on tape?
> did a few dd grabs, but the images I get back don't really match any
> definable order (disklist, email-output). Is there a way to (quickly)
tell
> what order the images are in?

Here's a little script I came across that will list out all fs on an
amanda tape.

#!/bin/sh

TAPEDEV=<non-rewinding tape device>

while mt -f $TAPEDEV fsf 1 ; do
  dd if=$TAPEDEV bs=32k count=1 | head -1
  sleep 1
done

mt -f $TAPEDEV rewind

#
# end of script
#

If you just attempt an amrestore of a non-existent fs, it will essentially
do the same.

toby bluhm
philips medical systems, it support, mr development, cleveland ohio
tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com
440-483-5323