Amanda-Users

Re: VERY high load on server

2004-01-07 15:53:42
Subject: Re: VERY high load on server
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Mike Heller <mike AT dsny DOT com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:42:01 +0100
Mike Heller wrote:

I have amanda running on serveral servers and last night I tried to back up one more to the tape server. When I arrived this morning, the backups were still running and the new server had an extremely high load

Am I correct that this is the first time that a backup is tried on
that host?

on it. It's a RedHat Linux 9.0 server and the load was over 520 (quad Xeon system). There were about 1500 processes with "amanda" as the

Have close look at your xinetd configuration for amanda.
Maybe you have "wait = no", instead of "yes" in the file?

service amanda
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = amanda
        group                   = disk
        server                  = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
        disable                 = no
}

Just a guess.
Have a look in /tmp/amanda/*debug files too.

--
Paul @ Home