Amanda-Users

Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?

2003-12-30 22:19:38
Subject: Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?
From: Georg Rehfeld <georg.rehfeld AT gmx DOT de>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 04:17:18 +0100
Dear John,

you wrote:
I can't find anything in /tmp/amanda or /var/log/messages. Am I just not looking in the right places?
> These dumps were to tape WeeklySet116.
> The next tape Amanda expects to use is: WeeklySet117.
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   mail03     /var/spool/mail lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>   mail03     /home lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

Did you try amstatus? It should give the reason. Also look into
the amdump.X and log file for that backup near the end, maybe there
is diagnostic information neither amreport nor amstatus spit out.
Search for the error message 'dump to tape failed' and inspect the
lines directly above.

Besides, I am interested to get the amdump.X file for that backup
run for testing of my amstatus.cgi extension. If you are willing
to give it away send it directly to me.

regards

Georg
--
 ___   ___
| + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
|_|_\ |___   georg.rehfeld.nospam AT gmx DOT de    +49 (40) 23 53 27 10

             (Delete .nospam from mail address)