Amanda-Users

Re: Append to active tape

2003-12-30 10:06:26
Subject: Re: Append to active tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:04:33 -0500
On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 08:43:38AM -0500, Kurt Yoder wrote:

> Couldn't "append to tape" be simulated? That is, rewind the tape and
> check the tape label as normal. Then copy all contents of the tape
> to the holding disk. Then use amdump to add to the holding disk.
> Then flush the holding disk back to tape. The drawback to this
> solution is that it would take quite a bit longer. However, there
> would be no risk of accidentally overwriting portions of the tape.
>
> I'm just asking in theory; I have no plans to implement anything
> like this at my site.

So, GH's tummy ache happens after you copied from tape to holding
disk, while rewriting.  Now you've lost ?everything?, the precious
tape of yesterday and all previous days as well as todays stuff.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)