Amanda-Users

Re: Append to active tape

2003-12-29 14:06:34
Subject: Re: Append to active tape
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Andrew Hall <halla3 AT corp.earthlink DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:04:15 -0600
--On Monday, December 29, 2003 13:47:55 -0500 Andrew Hall <halla3 AT
corp.earthlink DOT net> wrote:

> OK..:).  Please forgive if I have used incorrect terminology, so I ask
> again for my own clarification.  Will amanda ever be able to write to
> the same tape a few days in a row, without having to spool to a holding
> disk?
>
> Say I have an AIT-2 50/100G tape, yet I only am using 20G of data.  I
> could fit a full, plus a weeks worth of inc's on a single tape.
>
> If this is your design decision, mind if I ask why?  Are there dangers
> in this type of theory?  Just curious.

The danger is that if the tape rewinds (either through user error or
a reboot) then your next backup will obliterate everything previously
written to that tape.
   For most people, the cost of more tapes is much less than the cost
of lost data.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673