Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda again...

2003-12-29 23:22:59
Subject: Re: Using Amanda again...
From: Greg Copeland <greg AT copelandconsulting DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:19:25 -0600
On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 16:34, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:53:41PM -0600, Greg Copeland wrote:
> > It's been several years since I last used Amanda and am having trouble
> > remembering some of the details from the last time I used it.  I'm
> > attempting to backup 2 linux boxen and 1 win box, using amanda.  On the
> > Linux box, what is the preferred user and group names that amanda should
> > run as?  Is there such a thing?  Is there a reason why I would not want
> > amanda to simply run as root?
>
> The concept of minimal privledges for the task.
>
> Some programs require you to be root to run them (recoveries come to mind)
> and others run automatically require root suid.
> >
> > I guess I may have to break down an actually read, in length, the
> > provided documentation, if I continue to have problems.  :(
>
> Oh my gosh, what a concept :)

I understand that your response was followed with a smiley, however, it
was less than helpful.  As I previously stated, I have used amanda
before, so, an in depth reading should not be required.  I have also
spent a fair amount of time reviewing (thus the, "in length", comment in
my original posting), the available documentation and the faq-o-matic.
To date, your message nor the sources that I've reviewed answered my
very simple question.  Care to follow up with a more helpful response?

Thank you,

--
Greg Copeland <greg AT copelandconsulting DOT net>
Owner, Copeland Computer Consulting