Amanda-Users

Re: Using Amanda again...

2003-12-29 17:36:36
Subject: Re: Using Amanda again...
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:34:50 -0500
On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 03:53:41PM -0600, Greg Copeland wrote:
> It's been several years since I last used Amanda and am having trouble
> remembering some of the details from the last time I used it.  I'm
> attempting to backup 2 linux boxen and 1 win box, using amanda.  On the
> Linux box, what is the preferred user and group names that amanda should
> run as?  Is there such a thing?  Is there a reason why I would not want
> amanda to simply run as root?

The concept of minimal privledges for the task.

Some programs require you to be root to run them (recoveries come to mind)
and others run automatically require root suid.

> I guess I may have to break down an actually read, in length, the
> provided documentation, if I continue to have problems.  :(

Oh my gosh, what a concept :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)