Amanda-Users

Dump Vs Tar tradeoffs (if any)

2003-12-23 11:45:11
Subject: Dump Vs Tar tradeoffs (if any)
From: "Henson, George Mr JMLFDC" <George.Henson AT DET.AMEDD.ARMY DOT MIL>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:42:14 -0500

All,

We are still new to Amanda and would greatly appreciate some advise on how to best configure  the system

What are the advantages or disadvantages to using tar instead of dump? Is there a difference in restoring a single file? a file system? or the whole system? (other then changing restore to tar x)

If it helps, we are using HP/UX 11i (on an N class system) to backup about 10 client (HP/UX 11, HP/UX 11i, and Linux) onto LTO media using a C7200 silo/changer.

Thank you,
George Henson