Amanda-Users

Re: Testing tapes before use / bad tape

2003-11-25 04:49:13
Subject: Re: Testing tapes before use / bad tape
From: Martin Oehler <martin.oehler AT gmx DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:46:10 +0100
Hi!

Am Mo, 2003-11-24 um 13.54 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 03:46, Martin Oehler wrote:

[...]
> Doing this to a tape also should tell you whether or not the drives
> internal compression is in use, which for amanda, should be turned
> off as that hides the true size of the tape from amanda.

I need to work with hardware compression because I have 6 hours
at night to execute my backup before people are starting to change
files. With software compression, backup doesn't finish in time
because the compression itself takes to long (I think an amanda
mode that first moves the data completely to the backup server
and then starting to compress, freeing the backed up boxes, would be a
good solution. The "online compresssion" eats a lot of time).

> Amanda
> counts bytes sent to the drive after any gzip is applied, and if the
> drives compressor is on, the data normally will grow slightly and
> amanda may hit EOT thinking it still has 10-15% of the tape left.

The Quantum drive hardware compression is completely manageable
via the mt command. I'm now turning the compression off before starting
the tape test and turn it back on for backup. When I'm finished
with tuning the amtapetype test I want to use this inside my backup
script, so each tape is tested before amflush starts (I'm using amanda
with holding disks).

> Humm, do I recall that name from a decade or so back when I was
> running an amiga?

Hehe, sorry, I still own an Amiga 500 but I wasn't very skilled a decade
ago (at least not that skilled to become popular).

Regards,
Martin Öhler