Amanda-Users

Re: Testing tapes before use / bad tape

2003-11-24 04:26:20
Subject: Re: Testing tapes before use / bad tape
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Martin Oehler <martin.oehler AT gmx DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:23:12 +0100
Martin Oehler wrote:

Hi!

Am So, 2003-11-23 um 14.16 schrieb Gene Heskett:

There is amtapetype, which will destructively write the tape till it hits EOT, and will tell you the size it found. See the man page for running options to help speed it up as its quite slow, doing 2 passes.

SYNOPSIS
       amtapetype  [-h]  [-c]  [-b  blocksize]  [-e  estsize] [-f
       tapedev] [-t typename]

Hmm, the only option that sounds like it could speed up the process
is blocksize. Does anyone know a good value for this?

Read on a few lines further in the man page.  The most important
parameter for speed is the estimated size.  It's the stop/start when
writing a filemark that slows down the most.  The default estimated
size is 1 Gbyte.  Amtapetype will write 100+200 files to the tape only
if the estimated size is more or less ok.  If you insert a a tape
with 200 Gbyte real capacity, amtapetype will actually write 20000+60000
files to the tape.  If start/stop takes about a second, then there
will be 80000 seconds lost in writing filemarks only, instead of
the expected 300 seconds.

Is the test faster the bigger I choose this value? (so 1 would take
about 1 GB)

32 Kbyte (the amanda default) is just fine.