Amanda-Users

Re: mtx and storedge L9 on solaris 7 server

2003-11-24 14:34:04
Subject: Re: mtx and storedge L9 on solaris 7 server
From: Alastair Neil <aneil2 AT gmu DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:32:12 -0500
On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 13:24, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 12:15:26PM -0500, Alastair Neil wrote:
> > can someone give me some pointers about accessing my juke box using
> > mtx?  I cannot figure out what device to use.
> >
> > nwadmin reports the control port at [email protected] and the tape device as
> > /dev/rmt/1hbn , this is a link to :
> > /devices/pci@6,2000/scsi@1,1/st@1,0:hbn
> >
> > any pointers appreciated.
> >

> Do you have any entries under /dev/changers or /dev/scsi/*?

no /dev/scsi directory nor /dev/changers

> Using the Solaris "sgen" driver (scsi general) others have reported
> that they get devices /dev/changer/???.  I get something under
> /dev/scsi/sequential/???.  From that I manually create a
> /dev/changer/??? link because it "makes sense".
>
> Check the archives or your vendors docs for comments about setting
> up /kernel/drv/sgen.conf if you haven't already done so.
>
> You say your tapedevice is /dev/rmt/1.  What is /dev/rmt/0?  Do
> you have another tape drive?  If not, maybe you should remove
> all the symbolic links in /dev/rmt and run devfsadm(1m) to
> recreate them.  If both reappear, then perhaps one is the
> tape drive and the other is the changer device.  I get both
> the /dev/scsi device from the sgen driver and an extra /dev/rmt
> device from the st driver.  The latter is also my changer, I
> can use either.

/dev/rmt/0 is the built in DAT drive, I'm confident that I have the
right tape device.  It looks like sgen is not configured so I have
created a sgen.conf file  and then I'll schedule a reboot -- -rv to see
if the devices files you mentioned are created.

Thanks for your help I think you have set me on the right track.

regards, Alastair

--
Dr. Alastair J. Neil
Unix Systems Administrator