Amanda-Users

Re: Memory requirements for Amanda Server (fwd)

2003-11-24 13:56:32
Subject: Re: Memory requirements for Amanda Server (fwd)
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT sodor.wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:53:23 -0500 (EST)

Remember that Amanda is a driver, a scheduling tool that invokes
tools on each of the amanda clients (except in the case of server
side compression).

Amanda queries each client (possibly having a client on the server
machine), determines answers to various space issues and then issues
commands for the clients to execute.

Amanda itself doesn't use a lot of resources, not if your talking
about the server side of things. As far as the client side - its
no different if you invoke dump/tar and optionally zgzip  as local
root or remotely via amanda, the results will be the same.

----- Forwarded message from Richard Morse -----

On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 01:04 PM, Tom Brown wrote:

>> We are building an amanda backup server and have a question regarding
>> memory requirements.  My guess is that Amanda is more processor
>> intensive than memory intensive.  Is this correct?  For a dedicated
>> backup server that won't be doing much of anything else, is 512MB of
>> memory enough?
>
> i have such a beast running on RedHat with 256 meg of RAM and its fine

My amanda backup server is a pentium 90 with 32M of ram, running
FreeBSD 4.9.  Seems to work no problem (admittedly, I only have about
30-40 disk-list entries, writing to DDS3)

Ricky

----- End of forwarded message from Richard Morse -----