Amanda-Users

dumps too large

2003-11-21 10:43:16
Subject: dumps too large
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT sodor.wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:23:26 -0500 (EST)
Thank you all for your input.

I tried lying (creatively) to amanda, changed the tape length
slightly, reduced the bump days from 2 to 1, changed the bump
threshold, that type of thing. [actually exactly that, I mucked
with 3 parameters]

Didn't effect the results on night 1.

Following the concept that eventually amanda would want to get
it (/maildb2) partition backed up sooner or later and I was
losing patience I did a "force" on the partition.

The result being that a different partition that wanted to do a
level 2 backup was skipped.

The problem, besides just too much data, is that notes, as in
Lotus Notes, is a mail system as well as a database (really?, roll
eyes) system.

The solution, large tape capacity, better compression ?

I doubt extending the dump cycle will really help since its
a mail system and most files are touched every day.

Can I tar these files ? Subdivide the partition ? I'm unclear on
how tar will help - I know it can be used to make smaller DLEs so
that we don't exceed tape capacity with any single DLE but I don't
know if it supports any concept of levels so that we can actually
skip some of the files, ie, not back them up.

Even if tar will skip untouched files, is that going to do anything
for me that bumping the backup level isn't already doing ?

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org