Amanda-Users

amflush short write (out of tape)

2003-11-20 14:45:39
Subject: amflush short write (out of tape)
From: Matt Christian <matt AT summersault DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:42:46 -0500
Greetings,

For the past 4 weeks (and with 4 different tapes), I've been getting the following errors while my backup is being flushed to tape:

                *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: short write]].
                FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
                  nollie     /usr lev 0 FAILED [out of tape]

                STATISTICS:
                                          Total       Full      Daily
                                    --------   --------   --------
                Estimate Time (hrs:min)    0:12
                Run Time (hrs:min)         4:55
                Dump Time (hrs:min)        4:30       4:30       0:00
                Output Size (meg)        9926.3     9926.3        0.0
                Original Size (meg)     22900.8    22900.8        0.0
                Avg Compressed Size (%)    43.3       43.3        --
                Filesystems Dumped           17         17          0
                Avg Dump Rate (k/s)       627.4      627.4        --

                Tape Time (hrs:min)        1:16       1:16       0:00
                Tape Size (meg)          4082.3     4082.3        0.0
                Tape Used (%)              35.3       35.3        0.0
                Filesystems Taped            16         16          0
                Avg Tp Write Rate (k/s)   913.7      913.7        --

                NOTES:
                  taper: tape ARCHIVE-300 kb 10131168 fm 17 writing file: short
write
                  driver: going into degraded mode because of tape error.

This to me suggests that Amanda "ran out of tape" after writing about 10131 MB, which is strange since (according to the following tapetype definition in amanda.conf) the tape can hold well over 11000 MB.

                define tapetype SEAGATE-DDS3 {
                    comment "Seagate STD224000N-SB Internal DDS-3 Drive"
                    length 11550 mbytes
                    filemark 0 kbytes
                    speed 1075 kps
                }

The backup set that is experiencing these problems runs once a week and had been working fine for over a month. The tapes that this set uses are relatively new (about 2 months old) and were written to successfully in the period before the "short write" problems surfaced. Also, I have two other backup sets that run every weekday, and these have been working without any problems at all. Moreover, one of these well-behaved backup sets uses the same kind of tapes and the same tapetype definition as the malfunctioning backup set. I also tried cleaning the tapedrive, and still the problem persists.

I'd be grateful for any light that could be shed on this problem,

Thanks,

--Matt