Amanda-Users

Re: data write: File too large

2003-11-17 11:56:56
Subject: Re: data write: File too large
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:24:54 -0500
On Monday 17 November 2003 10:54, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I checked the archives on this problem... but they all suggested to
>adjust the chunksize of my holdingdisk section in my amanda.conf.
>However, I have ver. 2.4.1, and there's no "holdingdisk" section IN
> my amanda.conf! Is the chunksize the problem? I've got filesystems
> MUCH larger than this one going to AMANDA... but if so, How do I
> adjust my chunksize?

Wow, talk about ancient history, 2.4.1 has iridium dust on it!
And it may be that its a later option.

>Here's from my error log:
>/-- xxx    /services lev 0 FAILED ["data write: File too large"]
>sendbackup: start [xxx:/services level 0]
>sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
>sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
>sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
>sendbackup: info end
>\--------
>
>The example.conf for the latest version has some section like:
>holdingdisk hd1 {
>       comment "blah"
>       directory "/dumps/amanda"
>       use 256 Mb
>       chunksize 1Gb
>       }
>
>BUT My amanda.conf has NO section similar to this. I just have:
>
>diskdir "/dumps/disk1"
>disksize 4000 mb
>
>So I guess my questions for the gurus are: Is the chunksize the
> problem? If so, how do I change it with this version? If not, is it
> just some really huge file? (I am going to check on this after
> sending this e-mail).
>

>Wayne Byarlay
>Purdue Libraries ITD
>wab AT purdue DOT edu
>765-496-3067

Run, don't walk, to the amanda.org web page, pull nearly all the way
to the bottom and find the latest snapshots link, download and build
2.4.4p1.  Really, a lot has been improved in the last 4 or 5 years,
hopefully without breaking any backwards compatibility.

I use a script to simplify the build, and it been posted to this group
many times, as recently as a couple of weeks ago.  You might find it
to be usefull for you with suitable mods.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: