Amanda-Users

Re: backup lasts forever on large fs

2003-11-12 08:13:00
Subject: Re: backup lasts forever on large fs
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:11:37 +0100
Hi, Zoltan Kato,

on Mittwoch, 12. November 2003 at 13:53 you wrote to amanda-users:

> Thanks for your answers. Actually I've restarted amdump yesterday with an
> increased estimate timeout (I've set it to 30000 (~8 hours)) and it seems
> that estimation was OK. However it really takes forever to backup this
> partition as amdump is still running (now writing to the tape). So the
> next question is how I could make it finish (estimation + tape writing)
> within 8 hours?? Would ufsdump solve the problem or should I somehow split
> the directories (how?)

and later:

ZK> Finally it could not write the data to tape.

I recommend splitting into several DLEs like:

/home/[a-c]*
/home/[d-l]*

or similar.

Depends on the structure of your data.

Are there many directories, how are they named, and stuff.

There are many ways to do that, the main goal is to split that fat
chunk of data into smaller ones to serve Amanda the way she can digest
... ;-)

--
best regards,
Stefan