Amanda-Users

Re: configure bug or misunderstanding?

2003-11-11 20:50:39
Subject: Re: configure bug or misunderstanding?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:48:57 -0500
On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:20:38PM +1300, Steve Wray wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've been having trouble getting amanda to support gnu tar
> on Solaris boxes.
>
> What I discovered was that even though I explicitly set the
> path to gnu tar  at configure time;
> ./configure <other options> --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar
>
> and even though amanda appeared to configure for gnu tar
> (judging from the config log file and the debugging output where it
> actually shows the path I gave configure) it refused to recognise it,
> claiming that it wasn't a gnu tar.
>
> Finally I seem to have figured it out;
>
> If $PATH has another version of tar which would be found
> before the gnu tar, even though one explicitly puts it on the
> configure commandline, the #ifdef's in runtar.c don't appear
> to pick it up and hence its not compiled in; all that gets compiled
> in are the messages bitching about not having gnu tar.
>
> Or something like that.

I'm on Solaris.  There are 3 "tar's", 2 "gtar's", and
several other "*tar's" in my path BEFORE the one in the
location I use for amanda.  A couple after too, my PATH
is a ridiculous 74 "bin's" long.

It picks up my --with-guntar just fine.

> By setting my $PATH at configure time so that /usr/local/bin
> was at the front, I got a build on Sloarsis which works with
> gnu tar!
>
> Bug in the configure script? Or am I misunderstanding something?
>
> Cheers!
>

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)