Amanda-Users

configure bug or misunderstanding?

2003-11-11 20:29:39
Subject: configure bug or misunderstanding?
From: Steve Wray <stevew AT catalyst.net DOT nz>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:20:38 +1300
Hi all!

I've been having trouble getting amanda to support gnu tar
on Solaris boxes.

What I discovered was that even though I explicitly set the
path to gnu tar  at configure time;
./configure <other options> --with-gnutar=/usr/local/bin/tar

and even though amanda appeared to configure for gnu tar
(judging from the config log file and the debugging output where it
actually shows the path I gave configure) it refused to recognise it,
claiming that it wasn't a gnu tar.

Finally I seem to have figured it out;

If $PATH has another version of tar which would be found
before the gnu tar, even though one explicitly puts it on the
configure commandline, the #ifdef's in runtar.c don't appear
to pick it up and hence its not compiled in; all that gets compiled
in are the messages bitching about not having gnu tar.

Or something like that.

By setting my $PATH at configure time so that /usr/local/bin
was at the front, I got a build on Sloarsis which works with
gnu tar!

Bug in the configure script? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Cheers!