Amanda-Users

GNUTAR problem

2003-11-08 18:27:00
Subject: GNUTAR problem
From: "Dana Bourgeois" <em-lists AT netgods DOT us>
To: "'Amanda Users'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:43:12 -0800
I am building a new Amanda server and have to use GNUTAR to split up some
very large DLEs.  The result is only 128G but 62 DLEs.  This is not my
question.

I am running all of these for the first time.  Amanda is scheduling 35G (one
tape) but only about 3G is actually getting written for one reason or
another (some is compression, some is weird tar errors).  At this rate it
will take weeks to have this running.  What's the fastest way to get this
going?  Should I run amdump a couple of times per day adding clients each
run?  Perhaps run a different set of clients each night?  That would take 4
nights since my cycle is 4 tapes.  Problem is the cycle is also one week so
it will take several weeks to get this going.  Should I tell Amanda it has 3
or 4 tapes to write to at first so it will schedule more stuff?

Half of the clients are on a slow hub system with the rest on a fast switch.
So I have potential timeout problems as well.

What is the general rule of thumb in getting a relatively large disklist
going quickly? Planner is not queuing up enough DLEs and I'm getting only
about 10% of the data I should in one run.  At this rate, it'll take a
months to get everything right.  Since I'm using ftape, I'm going to
increase the size of my tapes so planner will get more scheduled up.  I
figure later, I'll drop the tape size down when planner has better history.

Dana Bourgeois