Amanda-Users

Re: Will Amanda work with Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library

2003-11-07 19:23:10
Subject: Re: Will Amanda work with Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Fran Fabrizio" <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 19:20:03 -0500
On Friday 07 November 2003 18:44, Fran Fabrizio wrote:
>Our group is thinking of purchasing a Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT
> library. From the documentation I've read, Amanda supports some,
> but not all, changers/robots.  Will this be a supported model?
>
>Also, the following excerpt from the Amanda chapter of the Unix
> Backup And Recovery book has me a bit concerned:
>
>"AMANDA supports using more than one tape in a single run, but does
> not yet split a dump image across tapes. This also means it does
> not support dump images larger than a single tape."
>
>"Does not yet split a dump image across tapes."  I assume "dump
> image" = one "unit" or partition to be backed up.  /home for
> example.  So if /home is larger than the size of a single tape, do
> I then need to subdivide /home into say /home/faculty and
> /home/students in order to backup successfully?  I'm just a little
> fuzzy on what exactly an "image" is. (Sorry, new on the job and to
> sysadmin in general)

As an overview, you have it understood ok I think.  The only caveat is
that dump cannot do a subdir tree.  But tar works just fine provided
the version is at least 1.13-19, with 1.13-25 being the prefered
flavor these days.  If your tar --version says its just 1.13, its
busted, goto ftp.alpha.org and get the newer one.

>Thanks,
>Fran

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M