Amanda-Users

Re: Will Amanda work with Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library

2003-11-07 19:16:15
Subject: Re: Will Amanda work with Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:12:13 -0600

--On Friday, November 07, 2003 17:44:28 -0600 Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab
DOT edu> wrote:

> Our group is thinking of purchasing a Qualstar TLS-5433 SAIT library.
> From the documentation I've read, Amanda supports some, but not all,
> changers/robots.  Will this be a supported model?

I use it on Qualstar TLS4480 and RLS-4445 libraries.  I would imagine
that all their libraries use the same controller, but you could
ask them to be sure.

> Also, the following excerpt from the Amanda chapter of the Unix Backup
> And Recovery book has me a bit concerned:
>
> "AMANDA supports using more than one tape in a single run, but does not
> yet split a dump image across tapes. This also means it does not support
> dump images larger than a single tape."
>
> "Does not yet split a dump image across tapes."  I assume "dump image" =
> one "unit" or partition to be backed up.  /home for example.  So if
> /home is larger than the size of a single tape, do I then need to
> subdivide /home into say /home/faculty and /home/students in order to
> backup successfully?  I'm just a little fuzzy on what exactly an "image"
> is. (Sorry, new on the job and to sysadmin in general)
An 'image' is a single partition or directory that you want backed up.
Also known on this list a a DLE, or 'disklist entry' since it is one
line in the config file which lists the filesystems to back up.
  Yes, you will need to specify subdirectories if the entire directory
is larger than a tape.  Some people are working on a patch to allow
spanning tapes with a single entry but I don't know how far along
that is.
  Check the archives for ideas on how to use includes and excludes to
split directories while still being sure a new subdirectory will get
backed up.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673