Amanda-Users

ERROR: server: [access as backup not allowed from backup@server]

2003-11-06 14:43:30
Subject: ERROR: server: [access as backup not allowed from backup@server]
From: "Byarlay, Wayne A." <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:35:53 -0500
Greetings all!

A little while ago, I suddenly started getting this error message in my
Amanda reports:

ERROR: server: [access as backup not allowed from backup@server]

(Where "server" is my server name, Not "localhost" or anything). Thus,
the server which actually runs AMANDA is not getting backed up! All the
others are, though. I did a search in the archives & did not find any
message pertaining to this problem. On Friday, 10/24, everything seemed
all right, but not until the next Wednesday did I get a report:

 *** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!

These dumps were to tapes .

I think around this time, we noticed that /var was FULL. I deleted as
much as I could, and continued with normal operation.  But later that
day, I got the "access as backup not allowed" error. Ever since then, my
backup server has not gotten a good backup of itself.

Any ideas what could cause this? I checked permissions in all the usual
areas, nothing looks like user "backup" does not have access to it.

wab