Amanda-Users

Re: ERROR: server: [access as backup not allowed from backup@server]

2003-11-06 14:41:27
Subject: Re: ERROR: server: [access as backup not allowed from backup@server]
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:39:07 -0500
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:35:53PM -0500, Byarlay, Wayne A. enlightened us:
> Greetings all!
>
> A little while ago, I suddenly started getting this error message in my
> Amanda reports:
>
> ERROR: server: [access as backup not allowed from backup@server]
>
> (Where "server" is my server name, Not "localhost" or anything). Thus,
> the server which actually runs AMANDA is not getting backed up! All the
> others are, though. I did a search in the archives & did not find any
> message pertaining to this problem. On Friday, 10/24, everything seemed
> all right, but not until the next Wednesday did I get a report:
>
>  *** THE DUMPS DID NOT FINISH PROPERLY!
>
> These dumps were to tapes .
>
> I think around this time, we noticed that /var was FULL. I deleted as
> much as I could, and continued with normal operation.  But later that
> day, I got the "access as backup not allowed" error. Ever since then, my
> backup server has not gotten a good backup of itself.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this? I checked permissions in all the usual
> areas, nothing looks like user "backup" does not have access to it.

Your .amandahosts file was probably destroyed when the filesystem filled up.
Check and make sure that all of the appropriate entries are in there.
(Should be in ~amanda, wherever that is. It's /var/lib/amanda on my system).

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics