Amanda-Users

Re: Always-full and incrementals

2003-11-05 10:44:37
Subject: Re: Always-full and incrementals
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Stephen Carville <carville AT cpl DOT net>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:42:25 +0100
Stephen Carville wrote:

chena:/db/nt-backups/bering 1 [dumps way too big, must skip incremental dumps]

Now, if I am requesting always full, I should never see an incremental. Right?

The message actually means something like: "even an incremental one is too large".

Secondly what does the message mean? The file sizes are no larger than usual. The particuar one above is only about 5.3G. Also, the amuont of data written to tape is consistent with the backup being done sucessfully.

What is your tapesize set to?  The size of that particular DLE is maybe
not enough, but the total sum of data is.  In the amdump file you
can follow what planner thinks about the estimated sizes.

From the name of the DLE, I guess it is a backup of some NT already, so
probably the contents do change almost completely. Therefore an incremental or full would be about the same size.