Amanda-Users

Re: sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe], Why?

2003-11-05 10:21:30
Subject: Re: sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe], Why?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Martinez, Michael" <MMARTINEZ AT CSREES.USDA DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:18:50 +0100
Martinez, Michael wrote:

I had this problem and fixed it by specifying "holding-disk -1 local" in
disklist for the partition holding ~amanda on the tape server, and
specifying "-1 local" for the rest of the tape server partitions.

--> John Grover wrote:
--> --> > ? sendbackup: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
--> >   ? index returned 1
--> >   sendbackup: error [/usr/bin/tar got signal 13]

Clarifying -- I guess you had DLE's like:

host.domain   /amanda    holding-disk   -1 local
host.domain   /          comp-user-tar  -1 local
host.domain   /home      comp-user-tar  -1 local

And with "comp-user-tar" instead of "holding-disk" on /amanda you
would get the above error message.

"Holding-disk" results in backup to tape immediatly, bypassing
the holdingdisk.  Any idea how that could influence the index tee?
Did the ~amanda also contain the holdingdisk? If yes, then it's
obvious you had to specify it, otherwise tar could create a huge
(infinite) backup image.  Eventually you would run out of holdingdisk
space.

Could it be triggered by the following sequence:
Tar is reading some huge files, maybe compressing them too.  This
takes a long time; in the meanwhile the "index" tee times out
in the server because the accompying index is only a few lines, and
is still buffered in the client.  But AFAIK there is no timeout
on the index-tee, see dumper.c, line 1260 etc.
Or there you should find some errors about "dup2", just before execlp
the "gzip --best" for the index writer, or the gzip --best
on the server crashed (how would you find out about this? there is
no shell to log such a message).  It could also be an output
error in "gzip --best" because your disk got full.  But then
you should have found an message in the logs (or maybe not, because
your disk was full :-) ).

Just trying to understand -- maybe we found some obscure bug.