Amanda-Users

Re: backing up without a client

2003-11-04 17:13:11
Subject: Re: backing up without a client
From: Scott Lambert <lambert AT lambertfam DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:07:08 -0500
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:09:20PM +0200, Turgut Kalfaoglu wrote:
> Is it possible for Amanda to backup a client that does not have the
> client software loaded, but is accessible via NetBEUI?  I mean, we
> have several OS/2 servers and I'd like to add them to the backup
> "chain" as well.  However, I did not see amanda clients for OS/2. I
> was wondering if Amanda can backup these servers without having client
> code installed on them?

I haven't done it.  I think the following two options are your best bet.

Export the drive with NetBEUI and mount it as a SAMBA share on one of
your *nix boxes.  I don't think you will get the EAs from the HPFS
partitions this way.

Export a SAMBA share from you *nix box to mount on the OS/2 box and use
OS/2's backup program to create a file on that share that will then be
backed up by AMANDA.

Third option, GNU tar and gzip exist for OS/2.
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-browse?sh=1&dir=/pub/os2/util/archiver

If that version of GNU tar supports EA's, it might not be too difficult to
get AMANDA built under EMX.

lambert AT lambertfam DOT org