Amanda-Users

RE: recommended dumpcycle, runspercycle and tapecycle

2003-11-03 16:21:43
Subject: RE: recommended dumpcycle, runspercycle and tapecycle
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Jason Lavigne <jlavigne AT bwlogic DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:19:28 -0600
--On Monday, November 03, 2003 16:05:06 -0500 Jason Lavigne <jlavigne AT
bwlogic DOT com> wrote:

>> If you run it 7 days a week then what you have is fine.
> Cool, I am running it every night.
>
> To answer your questions,
>> How much data do you want backed up
> currently I would like to plan for 35GB, one full tape, but it is under
> 10GB (I think, could be a little more)
>> how long is your backup window
> as long as I need, currently I run at midnight and an hour or two is
> just fine
>> how old can the data be on a restore and still be acceptable
> one week is fine by me, I am more concerned about getting last nights
> backup than last weeks (I am sure this will bite me later)
>> will you ever need to restore data previous to the last backup, etc.
> not at the moment, not from tape. I do have a RAID 5 system that I
> backup to as well (and this is included in the Amanda tape backups)
>
> It would be great if each tape is one days worth of backups, I have a
> ton to read now that I know about "the chapter" so I may change my mind
> on this later, but as it stands now a full backup each day is what I am
> looking at doing.

If a full backup of all your data fits on one tape and you aren't time
constrained, I would recommend doing a full on everything every night.
Set dumpcycle to 0 and runspercycle to 1.  It will make restores easier
(you'll only need one tape) and you'll have multple tapes to recover from
if one should fail.  When your data gets bigger and no longer fits on a
tape, you can change dumpcycle and runspercycle to 2 and you'll still
have at least 3 full backups of everything on tape, or change runtapes to
2 and only have 3 days of historical backups.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673