Amanda-Users

dump

2003-10-30 09:38:28
Subject: dump
From: BRINER Cedric <work AT infomaniak DOT ch>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:35:26 +0100
amanda-2.4.4 compiled from scratch!
linuxDistrib:mandrake9.2
hello,

I used to work for 2 years with amanda on solaris systems. But now we are integrating a few linux boxes, and also getting into some issues!

The problem has I saw it now, is that the user/groups defined in the amanda's xinet file cannot run the dump program correctly under the backuped host (that what i've seen in the /tmp/amanda/sendsize.xx file):

cat /tmp/amanda/sendsize.xx
sendsize[30425]: time 2.180: running "/sbin/dump 0Ssf 1048576 - /export/diskA1/pittelou"
sendsize[30425]: time 2.180: running /unige/amanda/libexec/killpgrp
sendsize[30425]: time 2.228:   DUMP: Cannot open /dev/hda6

I've tried:
# /sbin/dump 0Ssf 1048576 - /export/diskA1/pittelou
  DUMP: Excluding inode 8 (journal inode) from dump
  DUMP: Excluding inode 7 (resize inode) from dump
61649920

$ /sbin/dump 0Ssf 1048576 - /export/diskA1/pittelou
  DUMP: Cannot open /dev/hda6
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
(you see!! it's not working! )

#cat /etc/xinetd.d/amanda
service amanda
{
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = obs_bkp
        group                   = sys
        server                  = /unige/amanda/libexec/amandad
        disable                 = no
}

So now to resolve this, the ways are mutltiple!
-I try to make work the amanda client with a user with whom the dump works
-I maintain the same user and I find out why the amanda's user can't use dump!

And what I don't really understand.. does any user can dump whatever.. I mean the amanda user doesn't have any special privilege! and the file /etc/dumpdate has to be written by root/sys..(don't really understand)

briner