Amanda-Users

Re: chunksize

2003-10-23 23:15:59
Subject: Re: chunksize
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu>, "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:13:12 -0400
On Thursday 23 October 2003 22:14, Paul Yeatman wrote:
>Hi, I was once given the impression that chunksize in the
> amanda.conf could be used to control at what size a backup image
> would be written to tape instead of to holding disk.  From reading
> what is in the man page, I certainly wouldn't get this idea.
>
>I made the following note in my amanda.conf at one time (possibly
> the negative sign alters the meaning?):
>
>       # chunksize -1370 Mb      # in my own words, this tells
>                              # amanda to use a single file on the
> holding # disk for any filesystem < 1370 Mb while # writing any
> filesystem > 1370 Mb directly # to tape
>
>I'm now questioning whether any of this is true.  I seem to also
>vaguely remember something being said to me once about chunksize not
>even being used by AMANDA anymore.  Any comments to any of this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul

Chunksize was originally a workaround for some filesystems file size
limitations.  When in use, the ONLY place it effects is the holding
disk by breaking up a huge 30 gig total filesystem into files that it
can handle in say, 2 gig hunks.  These files are merged into one big
file on the tape itself, and all chunks must be completed for a given
filesystem before the transfer to the tape begins.  And all chunks
must have been written to the tape before any chunks are deleted from
the holding disk.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: