Amanda-Users

chunksize

2003-10-23 22:18:31
Subject: chunksize
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu>
To: "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:14:59 -0700
Hi, I was once given the impression that chunksize in the amanda.conf
could be used to control at what size a backup image would be written
to tape instead of to holding disk.  From reading what is in the man
page, I certainly wouldn't get this idea.

I made the following note in my amanda.conf at one time (possibly the
negative sign alters the meaning?):

        # chunksize -1370 Mb      # in my own words, this tells
                              # amanda to use a single file on the holding
                              # disk for any filesystem < 1370 Mb while
                              # writing any filesystem > 1370 Mb directly
                              # to tape

I'm now questioning whether any of this is true.  I seem to also
vaguely remember something being said to me once about chunksize not
even being used by AMANDA anymore.  Any comments to any of this?

Thanks,

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu