Amanda-Users

Re: more doubts

2003-10-17 13:14:41
Subject: Re: more doubts
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:05:17 -0400
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:20:02PM -0000, btrent98 wrote:
> --- In amanda-users AT yahoogroups DOT com, Jon LaBadie <jon@j...> wrote:
>
> > You should not think of a dumpcycle as starting on a particular
> > date and going for one dumpcycle and the next not starting until
> > dumpcycle number of days.
> >
> > Instead, each amdump run is the start of a dumpcycle's worth of
> > dumps, and can be thought of as the end of a different dumpcycle,
> > and can be thought of as an in-between run of other dumpcycles.
> > If you are doing 5 runs per cycle, tapes 1-5 contain "a dumpcycle".
> > But so do tapes 2-6, and 3-7 etc.
>
> This seems to answer a nagging question that I've had. I want to store
> at least one "complete set" of tapes off-site as part of a disaster
> recovery plan. With my runspercycle set to 5 (and 1 tape per run),
> this seems to imply that any 5 consecutive tapes (without errors, of
> course) constitute a "complete" set of backups. Is that correct?

To phrase it slightly differently, with that "complete" set, you will
be able to recover/restore to the state of the most recent of the
5 amdumps.

For some DLE's the level 0 will be on that 5th tape.  For other DLE's,
there will be a level 0 on an earlier tape and incrementals between
that and the 5th tape.  But all DLE's should have a level 0 somewhere
in those 5 tapes and incrementals as needed upto the date of the
most recent tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)