Amanda-Users

RE:

2003-10-14 20:19:28
Subject: RE:
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Johnson, S" <sjohnson AT edina.k12.mn DOT us>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:04:35 -0500
--On Tuesday, October 14, 2003 16:33:22 -0500 "Johnson, S" <sjohnson AT
edina.k12.mn DOT us> wrote:

> I just realized that I replied to an individual user instead of the group and
> user - my bad.  I'm going to repost for future reference on others possibly
> running into the same problem:
> --------------------------
>
> Ok, I must be missunderstanding something here... Sorry for my lack of
> knowledge (this is my first time setting up Amanda).
>
> I was going off the aassumption that the backup package would automatically
> label a tape inserted into the drive on backup (like backupexec / arcserve).

It doesn't do that, its a safety feature.  If you were to accidently leave
some other tape in the drive amanda won't overwrite it.

> I just played around with it a bit after reading the man page on it.  I was
> able to label a tape with DailySet111.  After running the amlabel, I was able
> to run amcheck and I didn't receive an e-mail (which I assume is the way it's
> supposed to be).

If you run amcheck from the command line the output is just displayed and not
mailed unless you use -m or -a.  There is always some output (except for -m)
telling you holdingdisk space, tape lablel, and number of clients checked)

> Where can I find more information on the amlabel piece (other than man)?  Is
> there a way to automate this?  The person that will be changing the tapes is
> not very technical at all, actually quite technophobic...

You only need to label the tapes once, so after you label your set you won't
have to do it again.  If you put paper labels on the tapes that match the
label amanda puts on each tape then it should be a no-brainer to feed the
tape drive.  Each daily report tells you which tape(s) are expected for the
next run, and amcheck will tell you if the correct tape is in the drive
for the next amdump.  Just have your operator look at the report in the morning,
put in the requested tape, and run amchek afterwards to verify that it
is the correct one.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673