Amanda-Users

Re: 2 devices on one machine - resolved

2003-10-13 12:36:10
Subject: Re: 2 devices on one machine - resolved
From: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>
To: "Frank Smith" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:22:07 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Smith" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>; <amanda-users AT amanda
DOT org>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: 2 devices on one machine

<tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com> wrote:

> >> to follow up to myself here i have managed to get the single drive
working
> >> fine - The issue now seems to be with the changer.
> >>
> >> Using mtx i can load and unload tapes but when i run amcheck i get the
> >> following error
> >>
> >> amcheck-server: could not get changer info: could not determine current
> >> slot, are you sure your drive slot is 1
> >>
> >> I have changed all references to nst0 to point to nst1 in my config for
> > this
> >> setup but still this error - i have searched the archives for this one
but
> >> can't seem to find a solution.
> >
> > i'm still having an issue and here is an output from the latest debug
from
> > chg-zd-mtx
> >
> > $ more /tmp/amanda/chg-zd-mtx.20031013170311.debug
> > chg-zd-mtx: debug 1 pid 2919 ruid 11 euid 11: start at Mon Oct 13
17:03:11
> > 2003
> > 17:03:11 Arg info:
> >          $# = 1
> >          $0 = "../../libexec/chg-zd-mtx"
> >          $1 = "-info"
> > 17:03:11 Running: /opt/mtx/sbin/mtx status
> > 17:03:11 Exit code: 0
> >          Stdout:
> >   Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 6 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> > Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
> >       Storage Element 1:Full
> >       Storage Element 2:Full
> >       Storage Element 3:Full
> >       Storage Element 4:Full
> >       Storage Element 5:Full
> >       Storage Element 6:Full
> > 17:03:11 Config info:
> >          firstslot = "1"
> >          lastslot = "5"
> >          cleanslot = "-1"
> >          cleancycle = "120"
> >          offline_before_unload = "1"
> >          unloadpause = "0"
> >          autoclean = "0"
> >          autocleancount = "99"
> >          havereader = "0"
> >          driveslot = "1"
> >          poll_drive_ready = "3"
> >          max_drive_wait = "120"
> > 17:03:11 Exit (2) -> <none> could not determine current slot, are you
sure
> > your drive slot is 1
> > chg-zd-mtx: pid 3060 finish time Mon Oct 13 17:03:11 2003
> >
> > really not having much luck with this idea of having 2 drives on one
> > machine.
> >
> > thanks
> >

> Make sure that each amanda.conf specifies a different changerfile.
> Each changerfile needs chgtapedev set to a different tape drive
> (just use the single digit [0,1,2...]).
> If both tape drives are in the same changer, you need to specify a
different
> range of slots for each amanda config.

Hi

Found the issue - It seems that i didn't have the driveslot parameter in my
change(r).conf file - I never have done and it has never seemed to matter.

Seems that as there is now more than one drive on this machine mtx was
getting confused as to which slot the drive in the changer was,

Adding..

driveslot = 0 to my change(r).conf sorted it.

thanks for all the groups help - I have now a machine running 2 amanda
configs, one with a changer and the other without!!

Tom

BTW i call it change(r).conf as i actually call it change.conf in my setup.