Amanda-Users

[FYI] Heterogenous system restore

2003-10-07 11:44:34
Subject: [FYI] Heterogenous system restore
From: Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.ecarnot AT accim DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:40:49 +0200
Hi,

My FreeBSD 5.1 backup server is running fine to backup many different OS.
Amongst the clients is a linux 2.2.17 (Mandrake 7.2).
I make the backups on this client with dump (and not tar).

But when I tried to restore the files with amrecover, it failed telling me "Root partition not on this tape".
I had the same message when doing it by hand, with dd.

I found out that this (seem to) came from difference between the restore program on each host. The restore program of freebsd can't read the dumps made by my linux client. Google archives seems to say that this comes the filesystems : ext2 on linux vs ufs on freebsd.

The solution :
- dump the image on the backup server :
  * mt rewind
  * mt fsf 42
  * dd if=$TAPE bs=32k skip=1 of=/tmp/myImage.dump
- log in on the client
- restore the files you need, via ssh (for example) :
  * ssh amandaUser AT backupServer.company DOT com cat /tmp/myImage.dump | \
(restore -xvf - ; cat > /dev/null)
- Be happy

Any comments welcome.

My 2 cents...