Amanda-Users

Re: Snapshot vs. -p1 (was Re: Lot's of I/O errors)

2003-10-06 11:21:13
Subject: Re: Snapshot vs. -p1 (was Re: Lot's of I/O errors)
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:13:50 +0200
Eric Siegerman wrote:

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:07:10AM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
I've been getting a lot of

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: I/O error]].

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 01:44:26PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
Note that I've now gone back to amanda-2.4.4, and successfully flushed
some images that caused trouble in the past. I think an important question
here is whether something related to the holding disk handling or taping
of images has changed since 2.4.4.

Did you ever learn anything more about this?  I'd like to upgrade
from 2.4.4 to -p1 or the latest snapshot, but I'd appreciate your
thoughts first -- and those of anyone else who cares to speak up.
I didn't really find out what happened. I actually moved the tape changer to a different host, which I was going to do anyway, and after that it all worked fine. Based on that, it's fair to assume that there was a problem with my SCSI bus, but I'm fairly sure the error messages started occurring after the upgrade. That may have been a coincidence, but the reason might also be that -p1 stresses the SCSI subsystem a bit harder, or checks closer if everything works all right.

--
- Toralf